The Carolinas' First Double Launch Coaster
Everybody knew about her delicious concoction. Best for miles around. She’d won blue ribbons at the county fair for 40 years with that jam, but no more. Granny Byrd’s recipe is gonna be yours. But to get your hands on it, you gotta head way, way out to a run-down, broken-down farm at the far edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Word has it there are lots of copperheads around there, so be careful.
When you get to the farm’s huge barn – that’s got to be the headquarters of her jam operation with all that banging and clanging – you get the strange sense that something’s not right. Peeking in, you see that she’s cookin’ something alright – and in big, copper vats – but it sure ain’t jam. It’s something with quite a bit more bite that could get you in a huge heap of trouble if you’re caught with it.
After a sudden commotion, a shrill voice hollers, “Trespassers! Y’all git outta here!” A gun cocks and you high-tail it out. Your getaway vehicle? Carowinds’ newest thrill ride, Copperhead Strike. As the first double launch roller coaster in the Carolinas, Copperhead Strike delivers twice the boost and twice the bite. “Double launch” means not only does the ride take off at an incredible 0 to 42 miles per hour in 2.5 seconds, but midway through a second thrust of acceleration launches you into the next half of the experience. A series of fast, tight, close-to-the-ground maneuvers are tangled with five head-over-heels inversions -- the most of any double launch coaster in North America. What’s more, this serpent of a ride never lets up throughout the entire chase – over half a mile of steel and adrenaline.
Ready for this backwoods adventure? New for 2019, it will be ready for you – only at Carowinds.
Coaster Type: Double Launch coaster
Launching System: Linear Synchron Motor (LSM)
Number of Launches: 2
First Launch: From 0 to 42 mph in 2.5 seconds
Second Launch: From 35 mph to 50 mph in 2 seconds
Track Length: 3,255 feet
Number of Inversions: 5
Duration: 2 minutes, 24 seconds
Height Requirement: 52"
Riders per Train: 16
Amount of Steel Used: 530 tons
Ride Manufacturer: MACK Rides GmbH & Co KG, Waldkirch, Germany
As the first double launch roller coaster in the Carolinas, Copperhead Strike will deliver twice the boost and twice the bite. The ride immediately leaves the station and goes into a jo-jo roll before loading into the launch station. After pausing, the ride takes off at an incredible 0 to 42 miles per hour in just 2.5 seconds. Guests will experience a series of fast, tight, close-to-the-ground maneuvers and flip upside down in five head-over-heels inversions -- the most of any double launch coaster in North America. Midway through the ride, a second thrust of acceleration launches riders into the next half of the exciting experience. Copperhead Strike does not let up during its 2 minute and 24 second ride along 3,255 feet of steel. It's full throttle all the way from start to finish!
Copperhead Strike on Planet Coaster
We’re bringing Copperhead Strike to life on Planet Coaster! Now, you can feature the Carolinas’ first double launch coaster in your own Planet Coaster theme park. Planet Coaster recreated Copperhead Strike from actual blueprints, so it’s as close as you can get to riding the real thing!
Rider Safety Information
Rider Safety Information
- A double launch, full circuit roller coaster featuring weightlessness, high speed banked turns, and rapid directional changes.
- An individual lap bar secures each rider across the thighs and pelvis with a between-the-legs safety belt.
- Due to the nature of the restraint, this ride may not accommodate guests of a larger size. A test seat is located at the ride entrance which can be used to ensure proper function and comfort prior to waiting in line.
- Guests must have a minimum of three functioning extremities; one functioning arm and two functioning legs.
- Amputations must be below the ankle.
- Prosthetics are not permitted on this ride.
- Guests with a cervical collar, neck brace, broken collar bone, full or braced arm cast, or full leg cast are not permitted to ride.
- Alternate access is available at the ride exit where guests using wheelchairs will encounter an elevator. Guests will operate the elevator on their own. Riders will have to transfer into the seat, on their own or with the assistance of a companion.
- Please do not use the ride restraints for support while entering and exiting, as they will shift.
- Loose articles that are not able to be stored in a cargo pocket are not permitted in line.
- Warning: This ride contains strobe lighting.
- Warning: This ride utilizes magnetic systems.
- Visit our Guest Assistance Guide for additional accessibility information.
Blue Ridge Junction
Covering the western portion of North Carolina and a sliver of South Carolina's upstate, the Blue Ridge Mountains region offers a majestic landscape, vibrant colors and undeniable charm. Enjoy the natural, easy-going culture of the Carolina mountains at Blue Ridge Junction, a new, immersive 7-acre themed area at Carowinds. Sit a spell and savor home-grown flavors at our new Blue Ridge Country Kitchen restaurant. Soar like a bird on Mountain Gliders or get twice the bite during a high-speed, backwoods chase on the new Copperhead Strike, the Carolinas' first double launch coaster. It's all new at Blue Ridge Junction in 2019!