RIDE MORE. WAIT LESS. SPEED PAST THE LINES WITH FAST LANE!
Afterburn embodies the high-flying speeds and gravity defying maneuvers of a fighter jet. Full of action and unpredictable inversions, this coaster is a "can't miss" for any thrill seeker visiting the park.
Introduced to Carowinds in 1999, Afterburn is the park's 3rd tallest and fastest roller coaster. Riders fly through six inversions, including a space drop, a vertical loop, an Immelmann (an actual maneuver used by fighter pilots), a zero "G" roll, a batwing, a flat spin and finally a spiral.
With trains suspended below the track, riders loop on the outside of the track instead of the inside. Afterburn reaches a blinding speed of up to 62 mph and is distinguished by its inverted construction and smooth ride. The first drop is 113-feet tall!
Height Requirement: 54” minimum
- 113 Feet
- 62 MPH
- 2.7 Minutes
Rider Safety Information
Rider Safety Information
- This is an inverted steel coaster with floorless cars suspended below the track. Riders will experience weightlessness and rapid movements from side to side.
- A shoulder harness with a between-the-legs safety belt secures each rider over the head and across the chest.
- Due to the nature of the restraint, this ride may not accommodate guests of a larger size.
- Guests must have a minimum of three functioning extremities. Two functioning arms are sufficient instead of three functioning extremities if the rider has a normal center of gravity and the lower extremities are sufficiently strong to maintain proper riding posture under the dynamic conditions of the ride.
- Amputations must be below the knee.
- Guests who do not have appropriate center of gravity must have sufficient lower extremities to ensure the ride restraint system adequately restrains them.
- Alternatively, guests with certain amputations may be able to ride with the use of a separate full body harness provided the guest has remaining leg and arm remnants to be secured by the harness.
- Leg prosthetics are not permitted on this ride. Guests with any upper extremity prosthesis must ensure the device is properly secured or removed prior to riding. Guests should check with Guest Services or speak with a member of the Ride Supervisory team to determine if they are eligible to ride using the full body harness or without the prosthetic.
- Guests with a cervical, neck brace and or broken collar bone are not permitted to ride. Casts are not permitted.
- Alternate Access is available through the ride entrance where guests using wheelchairs will encounter an elevator. Press the elevator intercom button for assistance from a ride operator. Riders will have to take several steps, on their own or with the assistance of a companion, and be capable of elevating themselves up into the seat.
- Please do not use the ride restraints for support while entering or exiting, as they will shift.
- Warning: This ride contains strobe lighting.
- Visit our Guest Assistance Guide for additional accessibility information.