RIDE MORE. WAIT LESS. SPEED PAST THE LINES WITH FAST LANE!
Afterburn embodies the high-flying speeds and gravity defying maneuvers of a fighter jet. Full of action and unpredictable inversions, this coaster is a "can't miss" for any thrill seeker visiting the park.
Introduced to Carowinds in 1999, Afterburn is the park's 3rd tallest and fastest roller coaster. Riders fly through six inversions, including a space drop, a vertical loop, an Immelmann (an actual maneuver used by fighter pilots), a zero "G" roll, a batwing, a flat spin and finally a spiral.
With trains suspended below the track, riders loop on the outside of the track instead of the inside. Afterburn reaches a blinding speed of up to 62 mph and is distinguished by its inverted construction and smooth ride. The first drop is 113-feet tall!
Height Requirement: 54” minimum
- 113 Feet
- 62 MPH
- 2.7 Minutes
Rider Safety Information
Rider Safety Information
- This is an inverted steel coaster with floorless cars suspended below the track. Riders will experience weightlessness and rapid movements from side to side.
- A shoulder harness with a between-the-legs safety belt secures each rider over the head and across the chest.
- Due to the nature of the restraint, this ride may not accommodate guests of a larger size.
- Guests must have a minimum of three functioning extremities. Two functioning arms are sufficient instead of three functioning extremities if the rider has a normal center of gravity and the lower extremities are sufficiently strong to maintain proper riding posture under the dynamic conditions of the ride.
- Amputations must be below the knee.
- Guests who do not have appropriate center of gravity must have sufficient lower extremities to ensure the ride restraint system adequately restrains them.
- Alternatively, guests with certain amputations may be able to ride with the use of a separate full body harness provided the guest has remaining leg and arm remnants to be secured by the harness.
- Prosthetics are not permitted on this ride. Guests should check with Guest Services or speak with a member of the Ride Supervisory team to determine if they are eligible to ride using the full body harness or without the prosthetic.
- Guests with a cervical, neck brace and or broken collar bone are not permitted to ride. Casts are not permitted.
- Alternate Access is available through the ride entrance where guests using wheelchairs will encounter an elevator. Press the elevator intercom button for assistance from a ride operator. Riders will have to take several steps, on their own or with the assistance of a companion, and be capable of elevating themselves up into the seat.
- Please do not use the ride restraints for support while entering or exiting, as they will shift.
- Warning: This ride contains strobe lighting.
- Visit our Guest Assistance Guide for additional accessibility information.