We are back with a second course of A Taste of Carowinds, a series that gives you recipes so you can make delicious park eats at home. This week's food is a park favorite and is totally my jam. Executive Chef Mitch Weaver's next recipe is the sweetest of all: our classic Funnel Cake with a berry interesting twist. Let's get started!
1 C. Whole Milk
1 C. Water
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 C. Sugar
3 C. All-Purpose Flour
3 T. Baking Powder
A Pinch of Kosher Salt
For Strawberry Compote:
- 1 Pint Fresh Strawberries
- ½ Whole Orange - Juice Only
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ C. Sugar
- 2 T. Orange Liquor (optional)
- 2 T. Water
- 2 T. Cornstarch
Strawberry Compote -
- Remove green tops from strawberries and cut them in half.
- In mixing bowl place halved strawberries, sugar, orange juice, vanilla, (optional) liquor.
- Stir and let sit for 10-15 minutes until sugar and juices combine.
- Place mixture in a saucepot and add water ¾ of the way up on mixture.
- Bring to simmer and continue to cook until ½ of the liquid has evaporated.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small cup
- Bring the strawberry mixture back to slow boil and stir in cornstarch mixture until compote begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Transfer mixture to airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Funnel Cake -
- In mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and water.
- Slowly combine dry ingredients into wet until completely mixed and there are no lumps.
- Pour batter into a pouring container (a pitcher or squeeze bottle).
- In a cast-iron pan or heavy frying pan heat oil to 350 degrees. Test oil by dropping a small spoonful of batter in oil. If it rises to surface quickly oil is ready.
- Slowly pour batter in oil in circular pattern followed by zig-zag motion (this will help keep batter together in circle).
- With slotted spoon slowly turn funnel cake (be careful not to splash the hot oil)
- When funnel cake is golden brown, remove it from the oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Plate funnel cake with your favorite topping!
Now it's time for you to enjoy! Share your delicious creations with us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Have a park recipe you want us to share? Tell us what you want to see with #Carowinds!